Monday, July 5, 2010

Conquering Mt. Pulag

Mt. Pulag

The second highest peak in the Philippines. Rising at 2922 meters above sea level.

Me and my officemates launched an introductory climb to conquer this peak.

July 03, 2010 Saturday

From Baguio, we took a 4-hour jeepney ride to DENR office. We attended an orientation. We had a little warm-up then we started our ascend

We took the Ambangeg (the luxury trail) in Benguet. It was really a long walk. And for a Non-mountaineer like me… this is not a luxury trail!!! My heart is pounding so hard that it almost came out of my chest. Catching my breath... as I walk every step up to the camp site. Well, hello?!?! With no exercise before the climb and with limited sleep what would you expect!?!

Around 5:00 it started to rain… the air was chilly. According to DENR temperature in Mt. Pulag will drop as low as -2ºC at winter months (we don’t have a winter season in our country so maybe this is December to February) and as low as 6ºC at regular season. 2 of my colleagues suffered hypothermia.

July 04, 2010 Sunday

We started our early walk, around 4am, up the summit. Oh?!? I'm catching my breath again. I think my heart and lungs was tremendously used-up. I'm not used to get up this early.

But all I can say is that when you already reach the top, you will forget all your struggles and muscle pains because of the breathtaking site and also because of the idea that you were able to push yourself to the limit. The view really makes you proud as a Pilipino. You will be able to appreciate how beautiful our country is.Then making you want to explore more.

I am really delighted I joined this trip. I’m glad I conquered Mt. Pulag

“You will forget all your struggles and muscle pains because of the breathtaking site”


Itinerary to Pulag via Ambangeg trail

Day 1
21:00 ETD/ Victory Cubao/Espana (around P450-480)

Day2
03:00 ETA Baguio/ Purchase return trip ticket at victory baguio

(rent jeepney going to DENR Benguet this will cost you min. of P800 each

but better if you can contact DENR Benguet beforehand so you’ll have a sure ride)

03:30 ETD DENR Benguet
06:30 ETA DENR/ Orientation/ Briefing (payment P200)
07:30 ETD Ranger Station
10:30 ETA Ranger Station-talk to a guide(P?)/porter (around P500)
11:00 Start Trek
12:00 Camp 1
14:00 Camp 2 set camp

Day 3
03:00 ETA summit
05:00 ETD Summit

07:00 ETD Camp site
08:00 ETA Camp Site
08:30 Break Camp
09:30 Start Decent
13:00 ETA Ranger station
15:00 ETD DENR
16:00 ETA DENR/ log out/ souvenir shop/
16:30 ETD Baguio
18:00 ETA Baguio
19:00 ETD Manila

Day 4
01:00 ETA Manila

No comments:

Post a Comment